Swing Arm Fulcrum Lubrication

AustHaflinger

Swing Arm Fulcrum Lubrication

Post by AustHaflinger »

As part of the process of working on my front hub I took the swing arm off. All fairly easy and has gone back OK - however on thinking about it later I thought there does not appear to be any means of lubricating the swing arm bearings. There are o rings at either end of the filcrum (and on either arm of the swing arm), there is a hole through the fulrum pin and it was oily when I pulled them out but I cannot see how they are lubricated when in place.

Is it just a matter of greasing the fulcrum pins up before reassmbly or is there a secret internal hole in the swing arm that allows diff to lubricate the fulcrum pin?

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Re: Swing Arm Fulcrum Lubrication

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Garry,
If you examine the threaded portion of the fulcrum carefully you will find that there is a felt wick inserted in a small hole. the wick can be difficult to see at first glance as it is a dark colour and becomes quite hard with age. The wick receives diff housing oil from the hole in the end of the fulcrum that enters the diff's side cover. The wick wipes oil on the bushing in the legs of the half axle as the suspension travels up and down. I intend to look into a means of replacing the wick some day because if doesn't function properly galling and/or corrosion of the fulcrum will cause a cracked side cover or a broken half axle leg.
Cheers,
Steve
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks Steve - neither of my fulcrums have the wick - just the hole so I guess the oil can still flow through. I can see right through the holes and air does blow through from the hole in the end of the fulcrum.

I was going to grease mine up but am now concerned that the grease may stop the oil getting through - though with the o rings on either side of the fulcrum the grease cannot go anywhere and will lubricate the swing arm - as it degrades the oil should just start flowing in.

thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Garry,

Can you take off the top carrier plate without having to take anything else off? My nearside front is missing a bit and I have ordered a new one which is on its way. From the parts book, it looks like I can just undo the nuts, take the old one off and put the new one in place and do the nuts back up again.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Sorry John - not sure what bit you are referring to :(
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Item 2 in the section 4 01/1 (The page showing how the spring comes apart / goes together. I assume you had to take that bit off to take the drive shaft off?

John

(p.s. I just need to replace that part as it is missing a bit in the lower front of the vehicle edge.)
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Item 2 in the section 4 01/1 (The page showing how the spring comes apart / goes together. I assume you had to take that bit off to take the drive shaft off?

John

(p.s. I just need to replace that part as it is missing a bit in the lower front of the vehicle edge.)
Oh Ok - I didn't take mine out - when I removed the suspension strap - the spring just fell out on the ground - reinforcing the need in my mind to ensure these straps are in place because the springs can fall out all by themselves.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

When I bought my Haffie it had oil leaks from the front right hub, the rear swing arm boots and the engine oil filter - all fixed now and took it for a short drive and no oil leaks - I then took it for a longer drive and when I got back oil was dripping heavily from the left side of the front diff. The leak was not there last time I drove the car in January and it is not obvious where the leak is coming from this time.

I did replace the swing arm boot on that side and while it is not obvious if the leak is coming from there, I will remove and reinstall using some sealant this time. However I don't think the leak is coming form here - so where else is a leak likely to come from on the left side of the front diff. The only area I can think of is the swing arm fulcrum pins as they have an oil supply from the diff. It is definitely not coming from the speedo drive housing.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I cleaned the area with degreaser and then took the Haffie for a drive in a nearby offroad area to try and iron out the bugs. On arriving back home there was no oil dripping but I got a couple of drops a little later - certainly a lot less than before. The oil is definitely coming from the swing arm fulcrum. The front diff was very low on oil for a long time and I am wondering if the o ring seals on the fulcrum pins may have dried a bit and with fresh oil it leaked initially but is now slowing. The leak is now not bad enough to pull the lot back out and when I go for the Aust equivalent of MOT should not be an issue as the bash plate will be on and the vehicle will be trailered there.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)