Pinzgauer 712M for sale on Australian Ebay site

Rick K

Pinzgauer 712M for sale on Australian Ebay site

Post by Rick K »

Hello

There is nice looking 1981 model Pinzgauer 712M 6x6, ex Swiss Army Rapier Missile Carrier listed on the Australian ebay site: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STUNNING-198 ... 3ccdbc7b7a

Its been re-listed a few times, and has dropped in asking price.

Good luck

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
tteltrabd

Re: Pinzgauer 712M for sale on Australian Ebay site

Post by tteltrabd »

Hi Rick,
Off topic, but I notice you have a collection of Haflingers and are based in NSW.

I am a former owner of a Haflinger and am trying to track down the current owner. The particular Haflinger had a Toyota 600 conversion and a fully re-built body. I sold it along with another original one whilst in the middle of a disastrous divorce and have regretted it ever since. I am interested in the Toyota model as it is of significant sentimental value to me. It went to a fellow in NSW (Sydney I think).

Thanks for your time.

Regards, Dale Bartlett
dale dot bartlett at realtimeinternational dot com dot au
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Dale

Sorry to hear you were forced to part with your loved one (the Haffie I mean)! I cant say I recall a Haffie here in NSW with that particular conversion- Constantin keeps in touch with a lot of Australian Haflinger owners (goes by Pathfinder700AP on this site), perhaps he knows of it.

I know of a highly modified Haflinger with a Porsche 911 engine- owned by a Porsche mechanic/engineer, but not others. Ill keep my ear to the ground for you.

Do you have any photos?- I can reference against my collection and may help find it.

Good luck in your search

Rick
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hey there,

I must say that so far, only one picture came to my mind, which looks as follows:

Seems to be a heavy backpack for that SWB Haflinger! The website is: http://haflinger4x4.tripod.com/7004x4/picshaflinger.htm. I actually wonder that this website has been updated after 7 years. :-) If this is not your former Haf, I think I also don't know it.

Kidn regards,
Constantin
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

tteltrabd wrote:Hi Rick,
Off topic, but I notice you have a collection of Haflingers and are based in NSW.

I am a former owner of a Haflinger and am trying to track down the current owner. The particular Haflinger had a Toyota 600 conversion and a fully re-built body. I sold it along with another original one whilst in the middle of a disastrous divorce and have regretted it ever since. I am interested in the Toyota model as it is of significant sentimental value to me. It went to a fellow in NSW (Sydney I think).

Thanks for your time.

Regards, Dale Bartlett
dale dot bartlett at realtimeinternational dot com dot au
Hi Dale - a friend of mine is a previous Haffie owner and I was speaking to him last Friday about Haffies and completely unsolicited he said there are some Haffies in the general locality of the Menangle Steam Museum and one has a toyota engine in it.

I do not have any more details.

Maybe worth chasing up.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Im planning to take my Army Haflinger to the Menangle Steam Museum open day this saturday or sunday (goes over the weekend)- I can ask around if anyone knows of the Haflinger Garry mentioned. I have seen a beige Series II Haffie in one of the sheds there, but thought it was original. There are others that turn up from time to time as well, army and civillian.

The fellow who shoots the Classic Resto's TV series will be there filming on Saturday, but thats the least likely day I can go. Too bad, maybe missing a chance to get the haffie on TV.

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick,

I think this is the Haffie you are talking about - and I believe that the haffie trailer which is also in the same location goes with it. This is not the one with the Toyota engine.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Garry

Yes, thats it. Although I recall the shed was packed tight so had to breath in to get to it. Thats an army haflinger trailer- ive subsequently tried to make contact with the owner via the museum to see if the fellow would sell it, but no responses thus far. I recall he was happy for us to measure it up to make a copy.

with kind regards

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I must admit that I am surprised the army had different trailers for the Haflinger and the Moke - I think the Moke came into service quite a bit later than the Haffie but I think the trailers have about the same load carrying capacity so logically they should have used the same trailer but didn't. Haffie trailers are rare as hens teeth and Moke trailers are rare as hens teeth but if both vehicles used the same trailer there would have been more of them and maybe more now.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Dale

I went to the Menangle Steam Museum open day yesterday as saw a modified 700APT with a Toyota 700 air-cooled 2 cylinder engine. See pics below. The fellow bought it modified this way some 10 years ago from the Bilpin area, and was originally yellow. Is this the one?

cheers

Rick
Attachments
Haflinger with Toyota 700 engine- from rear
Haflinger with Toyota 700 engine- from rear
photo.JPG (45.74 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
Haflinger with Toyota 700 engine
Haflinger with Toyota 700 engine
photo (11).JPG (50.45 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
Modified 700 APT at Steam Museum 18May13
Modified 700 APT at Steam Museum 18May13
photo.JPG (49.31 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have seen that Haffie before at the Corowa Swim-in in 2011 - I recognise it from the kitchen seats in it.

Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Garry

That nice pic you took at Corowa in 2011- do you by chance know who owns the army haffy on the right (the US Army olive green)? Im finalising the register before it goes live in a few weeks time. I originally thought it is owned by a fellow named Charles D in Sydney, but just looking at his photos, this may be a different vehicle. Do you know any more about it?

cheers

Rick
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Rick - sorry I do not know anything at all about them but I could put out feelers through the ex mil community to find out if you want.

However not sure which one you mean - the one immediately to the right is in Aust Army Olive drab (I think the same as yours), the one to the far right next to the Pinz looks like it is Aust Army Green - this is actually Landrover Deep Bronze Green and was the Aust Army colour of all vehicles from the mid 50s through to 1967. So all Haffies would have been painted this colour on entering service in 1966 but after 1967 they would have been progressively changed over to Olive Drab when the colour of all Army Vehicles changed.

Let me know if you want to chase up.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Rick - sorry I do not know anything at all about them but I could put out feelers through the ex mil community to find out if you want.

However not sure which one you mean - the one immediately to the right is in Aust Army Olive drab (I think the same as yours), the one to the far right next to the Pinz looks like it is Aust Army Green - this is actually Landrover Deep Bronze Green and was the Aust Army colour of all vehicles from the mid 50s through to 1967. So all Haffies would have been painted this colour on entering service in 1966 but after 1967 they would have been progressively changed over to Olive Drab when the colour of all Army Vehicles changed.

Let me know if you want to chase up.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Thanks Garry

Yes, I mean the one next to the Pinz. I thought this colour was a bit too bright for the original hew- but Im glad to be corrected. I only know of one Hafinger still wearing its factory paint- and thats owned by a fellow named Peter in Queensland (previously owned the last President of the Haflinger Club of Australia- who was the first civillian owner. Mercifully he left it alone, as he has other Hafligers to play with). Ive attached photos. Thats a bronze green with a great patina! All others I have seen have been over-painted. Ive spoken with a few ex-servicemen who said everytime there was to be a major inspection, the haffies would get repainted- spray or by hand. So many other parts that left the factory originally as black or zinc-plated, became overpainted olive drab. The aim was to be presentable- but not to be inspected too closely!

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. The AU Army Haflinger count is presently at 16, of the original 50.

with kind regards

Rick
Attachments
AU Army Haflinger- original
AU Army Haflinger- original
100_3720.jpg (96.59 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
AU Army Haflinger- original paint
AU Army Haflinger- original paint
100_3723.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
pathfinder700ap

Hey Rick,

are you sure that the Haflinger at Corowa (far right, next to the Pinz) is an original ex Army model? It has, for example, the higher guard plates and it is missing the black-out lights below the front bumper. Could be an army look-alike civilian model.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Yes Constantin, quite right. The tool holders are still available from Haflinger Technik (though with shorter straps), so it could be done. My army Haflinger came with the late model guards as well, as you helped find the earlier short ones for me.

Garry, don't suppose you have any close ups of that Haffy to tell if it's original or not?

Rick
pathfinder700ap

There is one more picture at:
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... f=6&t=6222
Not much better though...

Also, have you seen this Haf before:
http://www.remlr.com/remlrcorowa2003.html
Certainly not an ex Army one, since it's a Series 2.

Kind regards,
Constantin
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick K wrote:Thanks Garry

Yes, I mean the one next to the Pinz. I thought this colour was a bit too bright for the original hew- but Im glad to be corrected. I only know of one Hafinger still wearing its factory paint- and thats owned by a fellow named Peter in Queensland (previously owned the last President of the Haflinger Club of Australia- who was the first civillian owner. Mercifully he left it alone, as he has other Hafligers to play with). Ive attached photos. Thats a bronze green with a great patina! All others I have seen have been over-painted. Ive spoken with a few ex-servicemen who said everytime there was to be a major inspection, the haffies would get repainted- spray or by hand. So many other parts that left the factory originally as black or zinc-plated, became overpainted olive drab. The aim was to be presentable- but not to be inspected too closely!

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. The AU Army Haflinger count is presently at 16, of the original 50.

with kind regards

Rick
Is that weathered Deep Bronze Green or weathered Olive Drab? Not sure this is what weathered olive drab looks like (my 101 on collection)

This is what fresh Deep Bronze Green looks like

I think that the Haffie we are talking about might be a ring-in as I have had a look at the Haffie in the Bandiana Museum and the Haffie has different tools holders (the middle haffie has the correct ones) and the wheels are wrong. Sorry that is the only pic I have. Irrespective of that it is certainly worth chasing up and I will put the feelers out.

I will put some feelers out.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick - No real answers as yet however I have come across someone who has more pics of that haffie and he has confirmed it is a replica.

I have also sent an email to the Corowa Swim-in convenor to see if they have details on that Haffie but not got a response as yet.

I assume you have seen the ARN for Haflingers and their trailers on the www.remlr.com site - I guess so as you are mentioned in it.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)